Friday, October 13, 2006

Paypal accepts Philippine-based Internet users

A few days ago, I was chatting with a friend about this expected development - of an upgrade in Paypal.com that will include accepting new accounts from the Philippines.

Actually, it was just a matter of time and no lobbying influenced it - it is more of a practical decision for Paypal. Today though, the facility is limited to sending of money overseas, not acceptance.

This development meant more payment alternatives for Filipinos. (at least I can already upgrade my podcast site in Podomatic) However we still need more online payment alternatives for individuals that are attuned to the needs of the Filipino today.

As the Philippines has the highest incident of global online credit card fraud today, fixing our implementing policies and law enforcement is must. It will also require Internet users, who cares in uplifting the country's reputation and credibility, to be vigilant and report to authorities those who sell credit card information and commit illegal acts. Our banking system has to improve as well in order to make the money acceptance feature a reality in the Philippines.

I wrote more details about this and published today in Manila Times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yippeee!!!!!!!!! Makes transactions in eBay more easy!!!!! I asked PayPal if they had any developments with regards to extending their services in the Philippines. I forgot their reply. But I am gald for this news. :)

Janette Toral said...

I agree! When I was first told about it, I resisted every temptation to blog it here. It is great that Filipinos can now be part of the Paypal community.

Anonymous said...

Finally! I have been corresponding with Paypal early this year and thankfully it has happen now. I can't wait for Paypal to open up other features such as "Receiving Funds". I think this will be the most important feature for the Philippines. Thanks for posting!

Janette Toral said...

Thanks Allan for stopping by.